criss-crossed train of thoughts

sometimes it takes an illogical twist.

Tuesday, April 10

Dressed up apples

My officemate and I played hooky this afternoon and took off for a late (and rather long) lunch out in Glorietta. I stumbled upon this new stall between Glorietta 3 and 4 called SanFo Treats. The glass panels showed a delectable row of round chocolate-covered/marshmallow-covered/sprinkles-covered (some with gummy bears on top) round objects on a stick. The fushia-colored stall was screaming out for me to do a double take as I walked past it. My curiosity got the better of me and found out that they were apples. Caramel apples. Apples soaked in caramel plus other sweet goodies from candy heaven. Ahhh. I feel really bad that I wasn't able to take a photo, but I will the next time I swing by (I'm not sure if that's allowed though).

So all the colorful, sexy dressed-up apples got the better of me, and I simply had to try one. I'm not a big fan of caramel, so I was pretty iffy about spending Php50-80 for one. But what the heck, it's just one. I asked the salesperson for their specialty, and she made me pay the highest price for the Choco Mallow Caramel Apple. It was the most expensive one of the bunch, priced at Php80, but the saleswoman promised me that it'd be worth every single Peso.

All the apples are dipped in caramel sauce then coated with a second (and third!) layer of either chocolate sauce, chocolate/rainbow sprinkles. Some are topped with gummy candies or fruits. My Choco Mallow is bathed in a second layer of melted marshmallow (the white outer covering), a third layer of chocolate syrup, and topped with broken pieces of Oreos. Other flavors include Triple Caramel (3 layers of caramel sweetness), Beagle (chocolate syrup with chocolate sprinkles), Black Forest (with a cherry on top), Gecko (with a gummy lizard as the topping), Cupid (chocolate syrup and red sprinkles) and many, many more (these are the only ones I remember).

Until a non-sticky version of caramel is invented, I think biting into this will never cease to be challenging. I am utterly thankful that my office table is not very visible to majority of my officemates. Biting into two layers of stickiness (caramel + melted marshmallow) is sure tricky! Not to mention the crumbly Oreo! But after getting past the sticky layer comes the crunch of a fresh and juicy apple. Delish!!! Without being overly sweet, the concoction is surprisingly just right--well, at least for my taste buds.

The verdict: as the saleswoman promised, it really was worth every Peso. With its 3" diameter (well, close to it), it's actually good enough to share. I couldn't wait to come back and try another flavor. This would make for a great gift too (they have special gift bags for it).

For the love of sweets, desserts, and apples, give these dressed-up darlings a try! They really should open a branch in Serendra! It'd be perfect alongside other dessert boutiques like Sonja's Cupcakes and Miss Desserts (all of which, btw, have very girlish architecture and design!). In the meantime, other branches can be found in Tiendesitas and SM Megamall. As for its location in Glorietta, it's near Cinderella and Nine West on the ground floor. Enjoy! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home